Indoor Air Quality Inspection
An Indoor Air Quality Inspection checks every room in the home and gives you a detailed report on each rooms level of indoor air pollutants. We offer this testing as an add on service for our home & mold inspections at an extremely low cost. We also offer it as a precursor to our more expensive lab testing. If we don’t get positive results from our IAQ testing which is completed during our inspection. There is no need to move on to the more expensive lab testing. This can also help us narrow down specific rooms that show higher readings then other areas in your home. We at Gold Shield Inspections believe our clients safety and health are what matters. Giving you the tools to make the best educated decision on your home.
The 5 groups of toxins make up the majority of Indoor Air Quality issues in residential properties. For more information on IAQ please visit the EPAs website. The EPA gives a more detailed description of each item and why its so important to you and your family.
What is tested for during an IAQ Inspection?
- HCHO (Formaldehyde) is an organic air pollutant that can be found in high levels in your home. Manufactured wood products that use formaldehyde-containing resins to glue together pieces or particles of wood are often the dominant indoor source.
- VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are a combination of gases and odors emitted from many different toxins and chemicals found in everyday products. These products range from solvents, paints, adhesives, glues, cleaners and disinfectants ect. VOCs can cause serious health effects in both the short and long term.
- PM2.5 (Particulate Matter) refers to atmospheric particulate matter that has a diameter of less than 2.5 micrometers. That is about 3% the diameter of a human hair. Since they are so small and light, fine particles tend to stay longer in the air than heavier particles. This increases the chances of humans and animals inhaling them into the bodies. Particles smaller than 2.5 micrometers are able to bypass the nose and throat and penetrate deep into the lungs and some may even enter the circulatory system. This tests for this size of particles but can not differentiate between items that fall into this bracket. That requires more invasive air sampling and lab testing.
- PM10 (Particulate Matter) refers to atmospheric particulate matter that has a diameter of less then 10 micrometers which is about 12% the diameter of a human hair. This sizing is especially important as the majority of pollen and mold spores fall into this range. This can be a good indicator as to whether the more expensive and invasive mold sampling and testing should be performed. This tests for this size of partials but can not differentiate between items that fall into this bracket, that requires more invasive air sampling and lab testing.
- CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) is a colorless, odorless gas that is naturally abundant within the atmosphere. Within the home, its levels can increase. At low levels, carbon dioxide is harmless to humans, but elevated values can lead to a range of health problems, including headaches, fatigue and breathing difficulties.
Why can we offer this service at only an additional $50?
We use state of the art equipment to be able to perform this testing while at your home or mold inspection. We truly believe that every home should have their IAQ tested and monitored as it can have a drastic effect on your health and well-being. So by offering it at a lower cost point we can ensure that more of our clients will be able to afford it. Our #1 goal at Gold Shield Inspections is to protect our clients interests.