Site Overlay

Radon Testing

Radon Testing

Radon testing

Why should I test my home?

Although there are no immediate symptoms, long-term exposure to radon can cause cellular damage in the lungs that can lead to lung cancer.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency, Surgeon General, American Lung Association, American Medical Association, and the National Safety Council recommend testing your home for radon because testing is the only way to know if your home has radon.

If your home is being tested for radon as part of a real estate transaction see the EPA “Home Buyer’s and Seller’s Guide” booklet below. You can also see “Iowa Home Buyer’s and Seller’s Factsheet” under the Resources section of our website for more information.

Guidance, Protocols & Standards

Iowa certified measurement specialist must follow all EPA radon measurement guidelines and protocols when testing for radon or radon progeny. Copies of EPA protocols can be viewed and downloaded from the below links:

Other standards are available for purchase for other structures such as Large Buildings and Multifamily Buildings from the American National Standards Institute. The Department recommends the use of these references for those structures not covered by an EPA protocol or standard:

  • Protocol for Conducting Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurements in Multifamily Buildings (MAMF)
  • Protocols for Measuring Radon and Radon Decay Products in Schools and Large Buildings (MALB)

Single point test: $100