Residential Home Inspection
What are the main things you should look for when hiring a home inspector?
- Certified Professional with experience in the local market.
- The ability to deliver an entirely thorough inspection.
- The ability to be accurate in presenting problems.
- The capacity to communicate their finding in such a manner that the buyer knows when something is a big problem and when it isn’t.
- What is said at the inspection is no different than what they put in their inspection report.
- A report that is typed or done electronically and not illegible handwriting.
- Timely delivery of the inspection report.
What is all checked during a residential home inspection?
- Heating system
- Central air conditioning system (temperature permitting)
- Interior plumbing and electrical systems
- Attic, including visible insulation
- Windows and doors
- Structural components
- Exterior landscaping and water mitigation
What all comes with my home inspection?
- 2 Certified Professional Home Inspectors on each inspection experienced in the Eastern Iowa realty market.
- Free copy of Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection. This home maintenance book is filled with information for each home owner on how to maintain and understand each system in their home.
- Buy Back Program, If we miss anything during our home inspection we will buy your home back for what you paid. (home must be listed by a licensed realtor)
- Our 200% guarantee, If anytime during the walk through you are unhappy with your inspection we will leave at no charge. We will schedule you a new inspection with the inspector of your choice up to the value of your purchased inspection.
- Infrared Inspection to check for items that would be out of view on a normal inspection (electrical shorts, moisture behind walls, missing insulation ect.).
- A lifelong resource, once we do an inspection for our clients you can always count on us. If you are looking for information on a project you want to start or a good quality contractor to call, let us know. We stand behind our clients 100%.
- Market leading reporting software that includes high definition photos as well as video documentation.
What should I expect from my home inspector?
A home inspection is a limited visual inspection of a residential property. This inspection is to evaluate the overall condition of the property and look for any major defects or safety concerns that could reasonably affect the value of the home. With 2 Certified Home Inspectors on site we are able to perform a 4 hour home inspection in 2 hours. This also allows us to complete your report as we go on site so its ready for you by the end of the inspection. This allows you and your buyers agent to immediately start work on any requested repairs or post inspection documentation. We pride ourselves on being thorough and concise in both our walk through of the property as well as in our reporting on each defect in the report.
There are limitations to a standard home inspection.
- We can not see through walls. We attempt to with thermal imaging but it has its limitations also.
- In Iowa snow can greatly reduce our ability to walk on the roof or give an accurate assessment of the roof and some other exterior areas of the home.
- Some defects lay beyond our expertise and will require further evaluation by a licensed professional in the appropriate field. An example would be multiple serious structural issues. We can point out the issues but sometimes the cause can not be ascertained without a full evaluation and work up by a structural engineer.
- Homes that are occupied during the inspection. If the occupants items are blocking our ability to visually or manually check items such as windows, electrical outlets, access to the attic hatch or visually being able to verify a slab floor. These types of items will be listed as unable to fully view due to occupants belongings.
Our costs start at $300 for a standard home inspection on a property under 1000 sq ft. As the home moves up in size the price moves with it. This is due to the extended time and documentation that needs to happen to guarantee we give an accurate report. There are NO hidden charges as the only thing that affects the cost to you is the size of the home.
What else do you offer with your Home Inspection?
- We lead the way by offering a comprehensive list of ancillary inspections done in house at affordable rates.
- Radon Testing
- Wood Destroying Insect Inspections
- Air Quality Testing
- Mold Sampling
- We also offer 2 of the BEST discount programs in Eastern Iowa.
- HERO discount, 20% OFF your home inspection if you are a Veteran, Teacher or First Responder. Thank you for your service.
- First Time Home Buyer discount, $50 OFF your home inspection. Buying your first home is hard enough so let us help you.